Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Shortcuts to Inner Peace

I found these rituals in a magazine and I thought they were good. Turn daily routines into stress-busting rituals with these shortcuts.

1) Taking a Shower: The shower is an ideal place to wash away concerns because you're in the water having a physical cleansing experience. In your head or out loud, list some of your worries, then imagine dropping them down the drain. It's called "catch and release". Catch the concern by bringing it to your consciousness, focus on it for a moment, then let it go. There's a huge advantage in identifying what's bothering you and then consciously releasing it. This is an easy exercise that allows you to start your day with a fresh perspective.

2) Writing a To-Do List: You've got a pen and paper in front of you when you're making a list; why not also write a little note to someone in your life while you're at it? Thank someone or tell a friend that you're thinking about her. When you focus on positive emotion and generate love, you feel peaceful and happy. Write a note, drop it on someone's desk, on a pillow, or in a lunch box. It can say 'I'm thinking of you, 'I love you,' or Thank you for helping me.' It doesn't have to say much to be effective.

3. 3) Lying in Bed: As you lie in bed, mentally review three things that happened that day that you're grateful for. Recreate them in your mind and really absorb how they make you feel. The sensation of gratitude will spread over your entire body, relaxing you. Some people recommend writing down things you're grateful for at night. But at the end of the day, that can feel like too much work. This is something you can do anywhere. Gratitude opens your heart and creates an energy of goodwill and happiness that will ease you into slumber a lot better than focusing on all the things you have o do the next day.

3 comments:

Lorraine Butler said...

These remind me a little bit of mindfulness practices. Will you be using these now? Will you be reporting on how they're going? Just curious.... Hope Vegas is treating you well.

Gayle Daly said...

I think I will be trying one and two and hope there will be some results to share. My body is sore from all the lying around. It's bad for me, but Shannon & I have enjoyed lounging. We spent a good part of today having a Mom and Daughter talk. That's the highlight of the trip...plus the successful implant on Thursday. Thank you for keeping track of me and making comments. It helps me want to be on task. :)

Gayle Daly said...

I meant two and three.