Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Surgery mishap

So I went into the hospital last Wednesday the 4th to have a lapascopic hysterectomy requiring a one night stay. I anticipated two weeks off before returning to work. After I was returned to my recovery room looking for my cute Lindsey Nurse, I was hauled back in for another procedure to repair my bladder that was nicked in the process of the other surgery. I had a couple blood transfusions, 7 units of fluid and also received some plasma. After both surgeries  were complete, I was transferred by ambulance from the Dixie Regional Health & Performance Center next door to the Dixie Regional Medical Center. Let me tell you that was about the worst thing I've experienced to date. Ambulance travel is not for the faint of heart. 


The first night was pretty horrible. My ribcage and shoulders would shoot with pain if I moved too abruptly. The poor respiratory technician and the night nurse didn't know what they had done to make me heave with pain. Luckily I got a heavy duty pain drip and a clicker to get a burst of added pain killer if I needed it. Needless to say, I slept a lot the 2nd day. I did get up twice to walk the halls. Isn't that a fun time? Takes two people to help you do that. One to push your IV & Catheter bag and one to steady you. 
It was nearly impossible to eat because you just can't get in the right angle for the tray to rest in front of you. Fred had to feed me soup the first meal. I'm always afraid to eat after surgery....pain meds can plug you up you know. Anyway, with the assistance of Muralax, that has not been a problem. The catheter is an experience. I have the big overflow bag. It's is great to never worry about drinking too much and having to get up to go to the bathroom. I get to sleep right through it. :)   But on the other hand I do not like walking around carrying a bag of pee which at times the tube gets air trapped in it so it causes a feeling of discomfort in a place that I do not enjoy. Fred is my pee bag manager. He is being really great about it. 
I'm not totally disabled, but in my mind it's like "I feel like crap, my stomach muscles scream when i move, I don't want to do anything for myself". I always ask nice and wait until Fred can wait on me. I'm not ridiculous about it, but why should I have to heave myself out of the chair and experience pain, when he can bring me the telephone or a drink of water. Really?
I called my neighbor who got the ball rolling to get meals brought in. It really does help. We have a ton of food already in our freezer to thaw and eat, but it's just not the same as a meal delivered to our doorstep. Shannon might be coming this weekend with one baby and I may ask her to do a little housework for me. Our Christmas tree stands bare in the corner of the living room. Scott set it up over Thanksgiving and then this happened. 
St George is experiencing freezing temperatures following a few days of snowfall so we too have shut down much like Bremerton does when it snows. The hassle with that is this home is new to us so Fred isn't sure how well it was built to endure these cold temps when this area is not used to it. He has been outside most days taking care of preventative measures to keep our house fully functioning without injury. I wish one of my girls could be here to help me, but they have babies and children and jobs to go to. I had planned on going to Shannon's while convalescing when i was expecting this not to be a big deal. Oh well, this experience is for my own good and opening my mind to the trials of others when they are having health challenges. It is so hard to function when you don't feel good. It is so important to check on others when they are under the weather. I'm not really into visiting with anyone. I have a cold on top of this and you know me the "cougher" so talking is a challenge. BUT I want to be more compassionate and thoughtful of others than I have in the past. I am actually quite selfish and self centered. Guess I'm getting my reality check here.






7 comments:

Kathleen Allison said...

I'm so sorry Gayle! Sounds just awful. I wish you a speedy recovery. Take it from someone who has been there...don't over do it. Let your body take all the time it need s to mend or you will regret it. Prayers to you.

cindy said...

Thanks for filling us in on more details than you did in your email. I'm agreeing with Kathleen, do NOT overdo it. I've heard this from people all the time who've been there and done that. As far as becoming more compassionate and thoughtful of others, I can testify that when you have gone through something awful yourself, you develop a kind of empathy and understanding that you never would have without your own suffering. Just like the Savior and the Atonement. But most of all, rest, and know that your friends are praying for you and love you.

KariMarie said...

I would totally be your right hand man if you were in arms reach. With that said, you had surgery, live it up! (Meaning take care of yourself.) Let the hubby care for you just a little bit extra and not feel guilty about it. You are a woman and you are LDS; therefore, you are an amazing LDS woman!

Gayle Daly said...

Rest assured that I am doing my best of have Fred wait on me. I am not the type to over do in this circumstance. I feel tons better today. Honestly, the only thing that prevents me from enjoying this recuperation time is the darn catheter. Damn this catheter! :)

cindy said...

The only good thing about the catheter is being able to sleep without having to get up to go to the bathroom!

Carrie said...

Wow, that sounds awful! Ugh and catheters are the worst. I hope you feel better soon. You keep relaxing and healing. Get better!

Kimberly said...

What!! I had no idea this was going on! I have been a crappy neighbor! We are going to lunch after the holidays!