Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Teaching my first Laurel Lesson

Yesterday was the first time I have ever taught in Young Women's. I was called as Laurel Advisor a few weeks ago. I have never served in Young Women other than hanging out at girls camp.The last two topics of the month that the YW president and I had to choose from was one about Adversity and the other about our bodies being temples. I got to choose so I went with the body is a temple because I thought I would have great insight to share. You know basically putting all my hangups out there for the Laurels, so they wouldn't follow in my footsteps. As Linda Tilton would say, I had "diarrhea of the mouth". I think I talked about everything in some way that I had thought about over the last three weeks. The girls pretty much just sit there looking back at you with no expression. You have no idea what they are thinking. I had an outline, but I just could not keep it going. At least now I have a first experience to build on. My being so open and willing to talk about anything, may be more than they are ready for. I honestly feel like I have experienced so many things now personally or through the trials of my kids, that I want to save these girls from at least one heartache which awaits them. It is really a challenge to have absolutely no history or relationship with the people in my ward. Starting from ground zero...

Now I will have to memorize and learn to recite the YW theme at lightening speed.

“We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. We will ‘stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places’ (Mosiah 18:9) as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:
Faith
Divine Nature
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Choice and Accountability
Good Works
Integrity and
Virtue.
“We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.”

4 comments:

cindy said...

I would choose the laurels over the mia maids or beehives any day. They are all intimidating, but I can guarantee that as you get to know them, especially outside of the classroom (during mutual), you will form a bond and friendships with them. Your best quality is being able to be open and share your experiences, and I know you'll be sharing things with them that they will remember for years to come. And you will have that theme memorized in two Sundays, tops. (aren't you happy to be done with scouts?)

Gayle Daly said...

Amen to that! So glad to be done with Webelos. Glad that was only for about six weeks.

KariMarie said...

If I can give you some advice...even though I wish you were here to talk to in person...as you get to know the girls, also keep in mind you cannot fix their problems and you'll have a much easier time with the girls opening up to you. Welcome to my world. :)

Gayle Daly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.