Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

Facebook

I'm going stay off Facebook for a while.

A few contributing factors:

There are so many articles that are just plain disturbing that appear day after day.
I go there to connect with friends and loved ones, but I'm bombarded by all these other things that I don't want to see. 

It is true that reading about all the fun things other people are doing can be depressing and cause one to compare. I know I have a good life. Right now all my children are employed, have a home to be safe and protected in, food to eat and clothes to wear. They all live the gospel to their best and are active in their wards. We are all healthy. I have Fred to share my life with. He is constant. 

I worry and feel so much anxiety for young women and young mothers. All the pressure they put on themselves to do this and do that, be this and be that. You see it everywhere. Calm down, slow down, scale down on your obligations and busyness. It's not a contest. Life is to be lived and to feel joy. 

Thoughts like these are causing me to feel a lot of anxiety and an abundance of sadness and discontent recently. I want to save others from feeling like this. Part of me feels all wise and experienced with power to save and then when I really look at myself - I'm not feeling like I've got it together. 

Recently there have been several talks in our Sacrament Meeting and Sunday classes about "Acting" on the promptings of the Spirit, even obeying the commandments. Just do it now. 

The thought entered my mind to get off Facebook last night as I was driving home having a chat with myself. So I'm going to treat that as a prompting and see if I notice a difference in my life.

So as off the beaten path as this decision seems, it is huge for me because I pretty much live on it here at work all day. It helps fill the time.

I'm going to try a few other tasks to improve my emotional state of being right now.
I simply want to feel content. I don't need a barrel of fun or excitement. 

1 comment:

cindy said...

I really like this post, Gayle. I'm not on facebook, and its exactly for a lot of the same reasons you state. I will look on Keith's sometimes, and I also hate how you're exposed to things other people post, and also seeing the sometimes "not so nice" sides of friends, when they're posting opinions about things. I didn't want to know that side of them! I'm sure the transition will be hard at first, but if you were prompted to do this, then eventually you'll be able to find something else to fill that time.