Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Negative people

I am going to have to work on this behavior today. I have awaken in a depressed, frustrated, do nothing state today....thanks in part to the experience I share below.


This is a venting post. Here we go. I have been very excited about our plans for change. Building a new house, retiring for Fred and then moving to sunshine. I have felt no reservation or fear about these changes. I have felt confident and have been praying that Heavenly Father will prepare a buyer for our house. So last night I went visiting teaching to someone who I know does not have the capability of filtering her comments, but the result of the evening puts a huge damper on my dwindling joy. Comments like "I am excited for you, but I don't think I have the courage to do what you are doing with the economy and housing market. Are you going to be able to sell your home? What about social security? Oh you don't know what your financial situation is? I have to know....tsk tsk" shake the head. In my defense, I know enough about our financial situation that I feel very secure and so I've just been on the ride. I know that is not the smartest and most responsible on my part, but I know Fred is on top of it and we have enough or we wouldn't be doing this. FYI if you don't already know this.....Fred thinks, analyzes, studies, worries about everything. So if he thinks we can do this, I'm not worried.

What happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Does it help a friend if you question their already made decisions? To cast doubt and worry on a situation that is already in motion? I don't need anyone's negative vibes about what we are doing. It's a dream for us and we have something to look forward to. Just be happy and supportive.



I miss the days of visiting teaching when I had the whole day to schedule appointments and had partners that were available to come along and people to visit that actually let you come and wanted you to come. Yes notes, emails and phone calls make it so much easier, but if people won't even allow you a 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour a month to sit down together and visit, why bother? Although, as you can see that lovely experience totally backfired on me last night.


I AM SORRY IF I HAVE EVER LET MY INSENSITIVE AND BIG MOUTH SAY SOMETHING THAT HURT YOU. I never mean to do that. I really do try to temper my comments and be a source of validation or uplift.




6 comments:

Lorraine Butler said...

There are ALWAYS going to be people in this world that crush your dreams--opposition in all things, you know? But unlike your "friend," you have FAITH that you are going for something better than you have now. You don't live in a world of FEAR like some people.

And I'm with you. Fred wouldn't be supportive if it's not going to work, financially or otherwise. That's why you have him!!

So, keep up your spirits. Make note of the number of supportive, helpful, and truly amazing, loving, positive friends in your life. They should cancel out the Negative Nancies in your life any day of the week.

Gayle Daly said...

Thank you Lorraine. I was hoping you were out there and would come to my aid. That is one of the greatest things that I love about you. You keep a positive spin on everything. I admire that so much in you. You are a true friend!!!

Lorraine Butler said...

Any time!!

Kathleen Allison said...

AMEN to everything Lorraine said! I am so excited for your new life adventure!! Life is short...grab it and enjoy it. Take risks! Without them we will never have excitement and of course TRUST Fred and his wisdom! Shame on whoever tried to poop on your parade!! Chances are they're stagnant and unhappy themselves.

Michael and Denise said...

I am excited for you! And if you could get your route switched, so that you were my visiting teacher, I'd totally let you come and visit:) Hope you have a better day today.

cindy said...

I agree with Lorraine! It never ceases to amaze me how one person's actions or comments can completely ruin your day (or longer!) I'm sorry for how she made you feel, but I have to confess I would be feeling exactly the same. You and Fred are living the dream, seriously! I'm so excited for you and your new beginning, but you will be verrrrry much missed. :( :(